" The one example of how small changes has made my community more dementia-friendly was joining Dementia Alliance International, a group, of, by and for people with dementia. "
An advocacy group of, by and for people with dementia

Mick, from Queensland, said joining an advocacy and support group of, by and for people with dementia has helped his community become more dementia-friendly. #ItStartsWithYou

“The ONE example of how small changes has made my community more dementia-friendly was joining Dementia Alliance International, an advocacy and support group, of, by and for people with dementia.

Through attending and then building up enough confidence from meeting others with dementia, I am now hosting online support groups which has ensured I have been meaningfully engaged, and it has given me a reason to get up in the morning.

It is not dependent on whether you can drive there, or whether organisations and the community has even signed up for becoming dementia-friendly. It is simply a support group, easy to access, free, that supports you to live beyond the diagnosis of your dementia, is already dementia-friendly, and, in helping others, this helps me make sense of my own dementia.”

Posted: September 23rd, 2015

Dementia Daily Team said:

Hi Wendy, Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I strongly suggest you contact Alzheimer's Australia on the National Dementia Helpline on 1800 100 500 (during business hours) for information, support and advice. You can also find out about support available in your local community. Good luck, The Dementia Daily Team

Dementia Daily Team said:

Hi Kris, I believe membership is only for people with a diagnosis of dementia (see more at their website here http://www.dementiaallianceinternational.org/) but if you would like to know more about dementia, please head to Alzheimer's Australia's website www.fightdementia.org.au or please call the National Dementia Helpline on 1800 100 500, during business hours. We have a lot of resources and information available for family and friends wanting to know more. Thanks again and good luck, The Dementia Daily Team

Wendy said:

I have recently been diagnosed with cerbo vascular dementia... I am not sure if or how fast my mind my deteriorate from here... I have been told by my Doctor that I must avoid all stress anxiety etc... And try to live a life of serenity.... Well I'm trying to do that.... I don't get involved in any emotional or stressful family stuff...my kids are adults, and grandchildren are doing well...so I try not to worry... But I am worried about me..my future I am 67 yo single , so live alone most of the time...my friends are supportive , but don't really understand what it means to simply forget stuff, and not remember things.." It's all in you attitude...just stay focused, concentrate harder " "you are really the most intelligent one amoung us " they say.... Ummm ...not much help that really. I think that now I have confirmation that I have COGNATIVE deficit ...that they are now really scared about their own forgetfulness...and so now I think I need to keep my disfunctionalaty to my self...and not share how I really am some days...

Kris said:

my friend has Dementia. Can I join to learn more?

Dementia Daily Team said:

Hi Marise, You can contact them via their website here http://www.dementiaallianceinternational.org/ You can also contact Alzheimer's Australia via our National Dementia Helpline on 1800 100 500 during business hours to find out about support, education and information available close to you. Let me know if you need anything else. All the best, The Dementia Daily Team

Dementia Daily Team said:

Marise said:

I am in the early stages of vascular dementia. Can I contact this group ?

Dementia Daily Team said:

Hi Vicki, You can get in touch with Dementia Alliance International via their website here http://www.dementiaallianceinternational.org/. It might also be a good idea to call Alzheimer's Australia on the National Dementia Helpline 1800 100 500 to find out about any other activities or groups you may be able to join in your local area. Good luck, The Dementia Daily Team

vicki said:

i have dementia .how do i join group

Helen said:

This is a wonderful initiative - doing what you can do - not what you can't. That's a great story. Thank you for sharing.

Eileen T said:

I recommend the group, it's a great group to belong to.